“When tea becomes ritual, it takes its place at the heart of our ability
to see greatness in small things.” ~ Muriel Barbery
I was listening to a podcast by Annika Martins. She was interviewing L’Erin (the force behind SisterFire) and I was struck by the realization of what was missing in my life. The answer to why I had been feeling such a void and disconnect deep in my soul.
Small everyday rituals.
I had let some of my small but very important everyday rituals fall by the wayside. These were the things that kept me grounded, soul connected and balanced.
So why had I left them behind if they were that important?
There isn’t a good reason except when life speeds up or we get hit with a crisis, survival mode kicks in and everything else gets pushed out of the way. We promise ourselves that when we get through this crisis or life slows down just a little we will add these little rituals back into our lives.
And the further we get away from them the more distant they become until, like me, you can’t figure out what’s missing in your life and why you feel so out of sorts and disconnected.
Small everyday or weekly rituals are the things that bring us comfort, ground us in the here and now and slow our lives down within the moment we are enjoying the ritual.
Rituals are everywhere if we look for them or we create them out of a need or longing in our lives.
For instance, Brenda, one of our Zen Chick community members, told me that when the Sunday Chat arrives in her inbox, she sits with her cup of tea, dog and cat by her side and reads our Chat. In her words, “It’s like an old friend has stopped by to share good conversation and tea on a lazy Sunday morning.” (thanks Brenda!)
Adding a small everyday ritual to your routine might be what’s missing in your life or it could be the one thing in the day to day hustle of your life that keeps you grounded and peaceful.
Try one of these rituals or create your own:
- Take a few extra moments to enjoy and savor your morning beverage (of course mine is coffee). Sit with it and truly taste it instead of gulping it down.
- Enjoy a daily walk with your favorite doggie. It doesn’t have to be a long walk but 10 minutes outside will clear your mind.
- Sit at the dinner table and enjoy your evening meal. Turn off the TV and turn on some quiet music.
- Spend 10 minutes daily doing yoga or some form of stretching.
- Write it down. If things were crazy in your day, clear your mind by putting it on paper and leaving it on the page. If it was a good day, write that down also, noting what went well.
- Block out 10-15 minutes before bedtime, to read, meditate or just relax. No TV or computers allowed during this time.
- And the most important ritual to do every day; do what connects you to the Divine, be it prayer, sitting in nature, meditation or just sitting quietly.
Life will speed up from time to time and yes, your rituals will find themselves tossed to the side but don’t let them stay away too long or like me, your soul will speak up and let you know what’s missing in your life.
Now it’s your turn to share, post one of your small everyday rituals that keeps you grounded and connected, on our Zen Chick Facebook page. Sharing these simple rituals with each other can help all of us handle the unexpected and the hurried when it arrives at our door.